Powered By Blogger

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

15 April 2007

the one with the nordic walking

today is absolutely gorgous! sunny, mid 70s. the colors of the day are: pale sky blue, grass green, dandelion yellow, alpine white. there's a light cool breeze. days don't get much prettier than this. i wish i had brought my camera along so you could see too.

i decided to take a long walk today instead of going for a long run. my knees are a kind of achey and i wanted to rest them a bit, but not miss out on an aerobic workout. so, i went NORDIC WALKING.

it was glorious! my pedometer says i went 10.97 miles - i'll take that as an estimate. i walked 2 hours 40 minutes and covered all my running routes in one giant loop. what's nice about nordic walking is that it's more of an exertion than normal walking, but not as rough on you as running. i felt strong and powerful the entire time. let me tell you, there's an enormous difference in tackling a big hill with the poles, than running up one! i only stopped a couple of times for some water, and to change the caps/tips of my poles (rubber stoppers -- or die gummipuffers -- for the asphalt and steel tips for the trails). click here to see my route and elevations.
if you're looking for a new sport that's a great cardio workout, but gentle on the ol' bod, try nordic walking!


2 comments:

Phil said...

I still don't get the poles. I see more and more people using them each time I hike across the Grand Canyon ...maybe I need to breakdown and try them too.

Laufenweg said...

i was likewise sceptical about walking with the poles...until i tried it. it's alot of fun! and a really good workout too. for me - another activity that i can do regularly that burns MUCHO calories! :-)