Powered By Blogger

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

21 April 2007

the one with the attack


i am over "the hump!" i've reached my goal this month. i've run three times now going from 25 minutes to 34 minutes without stopping. i must admit i AM SLOW! i'll then take a short walk break, drink some water, then keep on going, running/walking as i choose all the way back home. i'm hitting a distance close to 5 miles total.


last tuesday night i had an attack of sorts. i couldn't sleep. my body ached so bad! i couldn't get comfortable. i was diagnosed with "fibromyalgia" in 2000 and actually once i had that diagnosis i've only had a few flare ups because then i started paying attention to symptoms, and not trying to always "push through the pain."


so last tuesday night, i think i had a major flare up. looking back at my activity level for the six days prior, it's no wonder. i ran every day, or i walked between 4 and 10 miles. it's normal to feel a little achy at my age after some exertion, but this was ridiculous. for me, a "fibro flare up" feels like the worst flu body aches you've ever ever had, plus i can't sleep, and i'm so stiff i can hardly make it up and down the stairs.


note to self: remember to plan rest days carefully to avoid fibro-flare-ups. ha


so anyways, i spent a miserable night tuesday night, then took the next two days to rest up. i soaked in hot baths, i took ibuprofen, i stretched, i kept moving, doing my usual things, just didn't work out.


by today i feel just fine again and just got back in from my latest run. i'm so excited! i made it through 34 minutes without stopping. the last few minutes were actually up a hill that i find even hard to walk up. i almost made it all the way up today. i think the next time i run, i'll be able to make it to the top without stopping. this is absolutely amazing to think that i've accomplished this! just a few weeks ago, literally, i was challenging myself by running 90 seconds at a time! i've been following the couch to 5K running plan - which is supposed to only take like 8 weeks...well, it has taken me since november to reach this point, but man oh man, i'm here!

1 comment:

Phil said...

Nothing wrong with walking. I started my running career by walking 30 minutes, 4 times a week. In fact, on my easy 5 mile loop I use for 5 / 10 / 15 / 20 mile runs when it's hot (looping lets me cache water for a hydration stop) I pass the 1.5 mile point that I once thought was an unimaginably far distance to run.

Hope your flare up decreases in intensity soon. I read through the link you provided. That doesn't look like a lot of fun. Good luck.