Powered By Blogger

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

30 July 2007

momma needs new shoes

time for me to replace my running shoes.

can i admit that i'm extremely overwhelmed and suffering from reverse-culture shock?

i'm staying across from a giguntus mall in northern virginia...and today i walked in there and i kinda freaked out a little.

whenever i run into the Giant (grocery store) to pick up something like bread or milk i'm entirely confused by the endless choices.

i've also driven more in the last few weeks than i have in the last 7 years. omg. people do NOT obey traffic laws in northern virginia. is it just me?

i also forgot that people in northern virginia, especially close to D.C. do NOT speak to strangers nor do they establish eye contact. say hello or good morning to someone and you're going to get the hairy eyeball unless they are from somewhere else, y'all. kinda funny.

and...don't even get me started on going into the D.M.V. now that was stressful. wow.

so....
if you're still with me...
i need to get some new running shoes. can anyone in my area who stumbles upon my blog recommend a running shoe store? or a running shoe? i'm on the last legs of my adidas supernovas that i bought in bern, and my right achilles tendon and heel are starting to hurt again.

in other news, our house is being re-painted and re-carpeted as i write. we should be able to abandon the hotel-life and move in by mid august. think of me when i'm unpacking all my *stuff*. in fact, i'll probably have a really groovey garage sale before too long to unload some of my treasures from mexico, venezuela, colombia, panamá, france and switzerland.

i'm making an concerted effort to keep running. i had to run in "tyson's corner" this morning. it sounds like quaint farm land, when in actuality it is URBAN SQUALOR. i've stuck to a 1.22 mile loop around the several blocks by our hotel which keep me from crossing any major intersections. not too bad if you don't mind feeling like you were sucking on a tailpipe by the time you're done.

today i did a little over 3 miles on my loopy-loop at about 9:30 a.m. it was soooooo humid out there i felt like a biology experiment by the end. interesting things happen when the humidity is higher than the air temperature. you just keep getting hotter, and hotter and hotter...and sweatier and sweatier and sweatier. ahhhhhh. the dog-days. i can't wait until summer is over so i can run in cooler weather again.

hope you've had a good run today!

3 comments:

Phil said...

I don't think I'd qualify it as "reverse" culture shock. I find myself shaking my head everytime I come back into the country and see just how lazy we are as a culture. There's nothing like leaving for a while to put things in perspective.

peter said...

Go to Metro Run & Walk in Falls Church on Leesburg Pike (Route 7) next to Trader Joes (across the street from Whole Foods). Bring your old shoes and the knowledgeable staff will help you. Go today (Sun. 8/5) b/c it is the last day of the Virginia tax-holiday and all shoes under $100 won't get charged sales tax.

jeanne said...

oh lord, tyson's!!! get outta there asap!!!

i have to say that i prefer Pacers--there's one at ballson (in arlington). they are really knowledgable. and yes, bring your old shoes.

tyson's corner=hell.

:)